DPN Snuggle

DPN Snuggle
DPN Snuggles

Friday, March 21, 2014

A Design

Stash Eliminator was made to also showcase some of my designs, and I'm hoping to share one with you soon!

I didn't really think of myself as a designer until my boyfriend's sister requested a pair of fingerless mitts. I picked through my knitting pattern books, then scoured Ravelry, then extended the search to all of the interweb and just didn't find anything that I thought was really "her". This one had too many cables, that one had a weird thumb gusset, and so on. This really surprised me! Modifying patterns is a great way to fit a design to one's desired result, and I was no stranger to doing this at the time, however, I really wanted something useful that a non-knitter could also appreciate. I thought about mitts and gloves I had made previously and what I best liked about them and didn't like. Then I picked up some DPNs and went for it, and for the first time I had made something not only without a pattern, but without an inspirational prototype as well. It was so much fun!

I think many knitters reach this point in their expertise, where they just pick up a forgotten skein from their stash and cast on. The trouble of carrying around a piece of paper and pen left behind, freeing the mind to just knit. I think it hits everyone after they discover how easy it is to make a raglan sweater at least!

I made all too unclear notes when making the mitts and so are useless now when I go back to read them. So I am taking a stab at designing and sharing a different pattern here. It is a scarf and is taking up more of my time that I thought it would! Here is a sneak peak:




The past 2 weeks:

Knitting on my lacy design scarf has been at the forefront. In the meantime I did get a little vacation too. I got the opportunity to go tent camping with part of my boyfriend's family. Previously, I had attempted to knit and hike at the same time after reading about Stefanie Japel's book dedication in Fitted Knits, and it just wasn't happening. During the holidays one year not too long ago, Christmas knitting got me walking around during an outing but involved a lot of standing and knitting. Now I can say that I have successfully hiked and knit thanks to pressure to wrap up my scarf design this past weekend! If you haven't tried to do this yet, give it a go! It's pretty fun.

I follow r/knitting from time to time. They have a Ravelry group and are very active at both places with yarn swaps, Secret Santa swaps, and weekly WIPs/FO threads. I stumbled across this article at r/knitting:
"Why Does a Vicuña Jacket Cost $21,000?" It is from the Wall Street Journal and so is written very well and describes one of the most coveted wools in the world and sums up the story about an animal, the vicuña, that was hunted to near extinction and how now it is being protected by the very people who were once the reason for the vicuña's seemingly inevitable demise.

This past weekend was full of sunshine after a week of clouds and rain. There is garden space surrounding most of the wee house that we're renting containing hostas, lilies, herbs, Camellia bushes, Black Eyed Susans and other perennial flowers, and I dove into them to pull out some intruders who were difficult to get out when the ground was somewhat frozen. While doing this I noticed some early bloomers that I would have not noticed otherwise had I not been so close to them!

White Fairy Lilies peaking through a very overgrown Periwinkle vine. I haven't lived in a house yet that lacks an overgrowing Periwinkle. No wonder it has reached the invasive species list. That link goes to a Periwinkle fact sheet which loads as a PDF that is from Indiana's state run website.

Some wild violets snuggled under the Camellia bush enjoying some afternoon sun.

The Camellia blooms with bonus kitten peeking.


And of course some spring Daffodils, growing behind a boxwood. Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers because they are the first flower I learned to identify. Growing up, rows of them grew along the roadside in front of my grandma's house and were so fragrant. I also really like yellows, whites, and oranges as colors. If only they lasted longer!


WIPs:

So I ended up casting on a Bone Yard Shawl. My first Stephen West pattern and I know errrrrybody loves his stuff and has to say it, but I LOVE HIS STUFF and that he models it very brilliantly and with full on fashionista gusto. Ok, that's over with! ;) I'm making mine from handspun yarn I purchased at a yard sale. It's a coppery salmon color full of slub and silk goodness. I am unsure of the absolute content but it's shiny and has a lot of drape. Here is my progress so far:


My first shawl so this is the litmus test to see if I'm a shawl-wearer or not. Enjoying the pattern, simple, and continuing to love the Chiao Goo Red Lace needle. I am knitting it as part of the Fat Squirrel's Gratitude Knit-A-Long.

I have also cast on one of my favorite hat patterns, an Antelope Hat by Kelly McClure. A couple of friends of mine lost a pet recently and I thought some knitted goods might warm their hearts. I'm casting on another, but in black for the guy and aim to get them done before Sunday.



<to be His hat







                                        Antelope for Her>








 I get to see the ole knitting group tomorrow-yippie! Thanks for stopping by and I'll chat with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

heLLo